March 15, 2008

Doormat?

What is up with the “I am not or do not want a doormat” phrase?

There are two paths this term has taken and from each gender.

Original term:

I want or I am a slave that uses her mind, has interest and opinions and will engage the other mentally in life. Be proactive and respond to life in a way that the dominant can enjoy being around them. This seems to some as a duh comment but there are many submissives who are enamored with the idea of turning their brains off as much as possible. There are few people out there that basically are drawn to a “whatever you want” and “what do you want me to do” interaction. In the end this will not work and end badly but there are people looking to check out that way.

Slang term (most common use now):

Female: I am not willing to be treated like a second class citizen in a relationship. This can be seen in the range of the original definition to someone who claims interest in a power exchange relationship but all they want is a leader who can mind read and will not expect or order anything they are not wanting or not willing to do both in general and in the moment.

Male: Can range from the original term to I really do want a doormat when it works for me and want a real person when it does not. Men often use the term as a guilt free expression to often counter communications of the more severe tone. Classic example “A slave only has one right and that is to leave. I do not want a doormat though”.

No comments: